Like everything else, the Children's Connection will be different in 2020. With many schools virtual or with limited in-person classes, we know submissions will be different this year.
On our end, we will be unable to print every piece of art from classes this year, but we don't want to miss this beloved edition entirely.
During the last weeks of each year, this newspaper devotes its pages to the creativity of local students and children. The results are always remarkable. It is a keepsake edition for many families. Even readers without children of that age spend time admiring and chuckling over the issue. The annual Children's Connection (including Children’s Gazette, Children’s Almanac and Children’s Centre View) is a long-time tradition.
We welcome contributions from public and private schools, art classes, individuals and homeschoolers. We publish artwork, poetry, essays, creative writing, opinion pieces, short stories, photography, photos of sculpture or gardens or other creative efforts.
For classes in 2020, please send a curated collection of no more than 5-10 pieces of art. Please realize that we will not be able to print every item submitted.
We ask that all submissions be digital so they can be sent through email. Writing should be submitted in text format. Artwork should be photographed or scanned and provided in jpeg format.
Some suggestions, but different ideas are welcome:
- Drawings or paintings or photographs of your family, friends, pets or some favorite activity. These should be photographed or scanned and submitted in jpeg format. Photos of sculpture or larger art projects are also welcome.
- Short answers to some of the following questions: If you could give your parents, family or friends any gift that didn't cost money what would that gift be? What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming year? What is one thing that you would change about school? What do you want to be when you grow up? What is your favorite animal? What is your favorite toy? What makes a good parent? What makes a good friend? Describe one of the best or worst things that ever happened to you. What is the best gift you've ever given? Ever received?
- Your opinion (100 words) about traffic, sports, restaurants, video games, toys, trends, politics, etc.
- Poetry or other creative writing.
- News stories from school newspapers.
- Photos and text about activities or events.
- Were you involved in November’s elections? What did you think?
To be published, we must have the full first and last name of the student artist/writer.
Identify each piece of writing or art, including the student's full name, age, grade and town of residence, plus the name of the school, name of teacher and town of school location. Home schoolers’ contributions are welcomed.
To send flash drives containing artwork and typed, electronic submissions, mark them clearly by school and hometown and mail the flash drive to: Children's Almanac, 1606 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314.
Please send all submissions by Friday, Dec. 11, 2020.
You can see last year’s editions by visiting http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/PDFs/ and scrolling down to Children’s Edition.
Email submissions for the Children's Connection to email@example.com